Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Backbend safety

I have been practicing vigorous yoga for a long time.  Ashtanga, Power, Jivamukti, you name it, I've tried it.  For so long, my focus was on the pose itself, the way it looks, the way its supposed to be.

Then my hamstrings ripped.

Parsvottanasana and Paschimottanasana all of a sudden became so difficult.  Never having a problem with props, I was that student with blankets, blocks and straps all over the place.  My practice shifted completely and the awareness and connection I felt to my body was immense. The injury is how my true connection to asana happened. 

So that was a lesson in disguise.

Now, 12 years of practice later,  4 years after my injury, I have started to have chronic lower back pain.  I know it's my spine for I can feel it. 

I was always very back bendy (my very first post on this blog is me doing full wheel in a pool).  I can do all the back bend poses, including king pigeon.  But I always felt tension in my lower back.  I didn't listen though...


King pigeon (photo from thereisonlydo in tumblr)

Now I have this pain.  I know it's from my practice, for I feel it badly after I practice.  My tight hamstrings are for sure part of it as well.  Bottom line, back bends no longer feel good.

So I have tweaked my back bend practice, and the way I teach it.  

Here are some tips to keep your back bend practice healthy and pain free that have worked for me:

  • Never going into full wheel.  To get your back bend on, try camel pose, or bridge pose.  
  • Staying in supported bridge pose during the entire back bend practice (use a block under the sacrum)
  • Instead of going into twists after the back bends, lay down completely for 10 breaths.  This time allows the spine to return to a neutral spine.  After the 10 breaths, going for the twists if needed.

I have started to include all these back bend options in my classes, including skipping back bends all together.

Listening to your body is why we practice. So listen carefully to your spine, muscles and bones. And never, ever do something that feels strange. 

With Love,

P

No comments:

Post a Comment