Friday, November 4, 2011

How do you pick a yoga retreat?

Margarita Island, Venezuela

Every studio and every teacher seem to host a yearly yoga retreat.  How do you choose the correct one for you?

-  Pick a location you'd love to explore. What activities will you be able to do besides hanging out with the people of the retreat?  This part in particular is very important, to me at least. I am not a fan of all inclusive vacations.  I prefer to do my own thing off the beaten path.  So, picking a location like an all inclusive resort in Jamaica is not for me.  A place like like Rio in Brazil or the Caribbean coast in Colombia (like I.AM.YOU's retreat)  is more up my alley.  If you want to lounge pool side with drinks all day, a place like Cancun or Jamaica is more for you.
-  Go with a friend that loves to do yoga.  This way, if the age range of the group is all over the place you have one buddy to be with.
-  Be open minded!  Your favorite teacher may be hosting one, but why not try a teacher you've heard is amazing?  Attend one or two of their classes and open yourself to a new experience.   See what their students are like..  
- Read the small print!  You should be able to get some of the money back if you can't go.

No matter which retreat you go, remember that this is a vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment