Thursday, February 9, 2012

Dreams vs. Reality

Our mind can't tell the difference between a dream and reality, a memory or the present moment.  This is why dreams become so vivid; sometimes we can even kick. punch, scream and cry.  Our mind is just replaying impressions thus making us feel the emotions related to the dream.  

The same goes for memories.  Every time you replay a happy memory, this triggers an immediate calmness feeling- this is why sometimes meditation is placed in your favorite beach or place, your mind finds immediate comfort.  

More importantly, the same goes for painful memories or events. Every time you replay a painful event in your mind, your body feels the same emotion you felt at that moment-  sadness, fear, whatever, thus causing havoc not only mentally, but physically for our body goes into protection mode.   Replaying painful memories is dangerous and unhealthy.   

I good trick I found when I am replaying an event over and over is to go for a walk and look directly at all the objects around me and analyze them, I look at cars, roads, people, clothing and think of their color, year, whatever characteristics I can think of. I stay like this for about 20 minutes so that I can preoccupy my mind with something else and let the painful memory fade away.  

Of course, a yoga class is a healthy and effective way to to this as well.  The hour and half of not thinking makes us feel refreshed and happy.  

Next time you're replaying something painful in your mind, just stop!  

Big hugs,

No comments:

Post a Comment