Friday, August 17, 2012

Introducing AHIMSA

Ahimsa, or non-violence, in sanskrit.
Ahimsa, or non-violence, in Sanskrit

In the Yoga Sutras by Master Patanjali, Master Patanjali describes the Yamas (social disciplines) and Niyamas (self disciplines)  or what I like to call  the 11 Commandments of Yoga.  Ahimsa, or non violence, is the first of the Yamas.

Ahimsa is a multi layered term.  It means to be non violent in thoughts, actions and words.  It is a constant practice that involves how you interact with others and yourself.

Most people that are familiar with this term have heard it from teachers and styles of yoga that suggest adopting a vegetarian lifestyle as part of being a yogi.   Lots of yogis and yoginis take on being a vegetarian to avoid eating "violently" and as a manner to practice non-violence in their everyday life.

That form of practicing ahimsa did not work for me.  I drooled at the sight of a steak, and I felt weak and hungry all the time during my time as a vegetarian. So I went back to eating meat and have since done so.  

My real practice for Ahimsa started during my asana practice.  I would set an intentions at the beginning of class to listen to my body and mind, and to ensure that every pose I did was a gesture of non-violence.  In other words, to forget that crazy twist that left me gasping for air, to stop staring at others, to stop judging my body. It was a rewarding and nurturing way to practice.  And it worked.

Outside of the mat, Ahimsa proved much more challenging.  During a recent difficult period in my life, my friend and life coach Monica Park told me that I needed to speak to myself as if I was speaking to a vulnerable and sensitive friend, which at that moment, it's how I felt. Monica said that I should listen to myself, and write down how many times I was saying mean things to myself.  After doing this exercise,  I found that I was constantly telling myself the most HORRID things!  Some of the many are as follows:

- My last class sucked.
- That playlist sucked.
-  I look terrible in (insert item of clothing)
- I am a mean friend.
- I am weak and sensitive
- I am whiny
- I hate being sad.

During this difficult time of my life, and always, I was being violent with myself.

Monica helped me work on those issues.  "How can you be good to yourself today" she would tell me.

So I started by reassuring myself that I am loved, that I am a good teacher, friend, and girlfriend, roommate, etc etc. As corny as it sounds, telling yourself these words do make a difference.  I was constantly reminding myself of my goodness and I started to believe what I was saying.  I was being so nice to ME.  Ahimsa, my friends... Ahimsa.

This week we will practice Ahimsa on the mat.  Hopefully you will be able to find a way to practice Ahimsa off the mat, just the way that I did.

With love,

P



  

No comments:

Post a Comment