Monday, November 22, 2010

Tapas and Giving Thanks


When thinking of Tapas, I think most of us think of that restaurant, or of chorizo, batatas bravas, etc. 
Unless you have heard of that term in Yoga.  In yoga, Tapas is Niyama #3.  To read all of the Niyamas (and the yamas), click here.


Tapas has become one of my biggest priorities. Tapas means to apply all your discipline to your practice.  I like to think of it as having a "no pain, no gain"attitude. And to me, tapas, or discipline towards a goal, applies to much more than just my asana practice. It applies to everything around me that I am trying to change and improve. My quest for becoming a better person (or finding emptiness, per my lineage) and everything that falls under than huge umbrella (meditation, generosity, love, my karma, etc, etc).   I work on changing for the better, then I forgive myself for my mistakes, and finally, I give thanks to the person or situation that is allowing me to come into this realization.  I give this my all.  


Yesterday in teacher training with Lama Kelly, one of our fellow TT's talked about a situation in which she purchased food for a homeless person.  She was practicing generosity with an open heart, with a good intention.  In return, the homeless person told her that the food that was purchased was not the food that she would prefer and asked that she buy her something else.  This, upset my friend.   But Lama Kelly gave us an amazing way of looking at the situation-  she said that she should learn from the homeless person and explore how that person made her feel.  Rather than responding by being upset and pissed at the homeless person, the other choice is to choose to learn from them-  ask questions such as "how can I learn from this situation?"  how can I shift my energy so that I don't respond in an angry way?"  ANY situation can teach you to look at yourself and celebrate that you are choosing to make the right decision, that you are learning something, that you are improving...  

This week, thank all those people around you that give you these realizations, subtle or huge.  People that remind you of how good, or bad you have been.  This includes the person that pissed you off on the train (for they made you realize that your anger is useless), that person that made you feel bad about yourself because they were prettier/smarter/richer than you (for you are responsible for feeling that way towards them, its not their fault), your parents (for they love you), thank EVERYONE, for everyone teaches you something every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment