Saturday, October 30, 2010

Practicing when you are sick

I love New York and all, but come the colder seasons and New York City becomes like a giant kindergarden class, where germs are exchanged through trains and public places, yuck!

If you feel slightly sick (like I have all week) do yourself and everyone around you a favor and stay home.  This also includes not practicing yoga at a studio.  Let your body rest and nourish your body with lots of healthy food and herbal teas.

Here are some great ayurvedic recipes to help with the stuffies of a cold:

-  Pepper and honey mixure in the morning.  Take a spoon of honey and grind 7 peppercorns on it.  Start your day with one right after breakfast.
-  If you already have a full-on chest cold, do the following: buy a jar of honey, a medium purple onion and about 2 lemons.  Grind or chop the purple onion, mix it with the honey (yes, I know), and then squeeze some lemons on top of the mixture, then mix it all together.   Eat the entire jar within three days. This is seriously good!   I used to do it when I first moved to the Northeast and I didn't have health insurance to help me pay for antibiotics.  My mom's recipe :)
- Alternate nose breathing is another good way to start your day.  This will help clear both nasal channels and bring some energy on the moon and sun nadis (left and right energy channels). Do this right before your meditation so your breath can stay steady during meditation.

bug hugs,

Patricia


P.S.  My schedule remains the same!  I teach tomorrow at 10:00 at Quick Fitness for those of you that skipped the halloween madness.  I am doing a series on the energy line starting with the root, the lowest part of the spine.   xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment